Thursday, October 27, 2011

To all the Snookis of the world...

This started out as response to this post, but it kind of focused too narrowly on the Halloween costume issue instead of the broader topic of cultural appropriation so I'm choosing to post it here rather than clog up Kenaz's blog.


When my friend and I saw these adverts, we made a joke about dressing up as the cast of Jersey Shore since we're both Italian.  And then she reminded me she had dressed up as a Native American one year, which is also part of her heritage. 

That got me thinking... Would anyone, other than Italian-American organizations, bat an eye at people dressed up as the Jersey Shore cast?  Is it OK because we're mimicking celebrities rather than directly mimicking the culture?  Is it OK because it's our culture?  Is it OK because most people think of Italians as "white"?  Or should we be offended because they're a horrible stereotype?  Most of the cast isn't even Italian...

Would certain costumes get a pass if they were historically accurate rather than derogatory stereotypes?  What if my friend went as a historically accurate Pocahontas? Would that be acceptable since she's going as a historical figure?  Is that any worse than me going as Sylvia Plath, whom I share no heritage with?  Where do we draw the line?  What about a Roman soldier costume or a typical English princess or even a Viking?

I didn't personally see it, but my friend swore one of the adverts was about Geishas, which to me is no different than going as a ninja, knight, or cowboy.  It's a profession with historical significance; not a representation of everyone in that culture.

I'm not sure where I stand on all of this yet.  I'm still forming my opinions.  But I will at least say that those adverts got me thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment